Day 5: List 10 things you are grateful for today
- Health. After a spring of being very sick, I am thankful that I am healthy and able to get up and do what I want to do each day.
- My relationship with my children. They’re pretty much grown now. My oldest is 28 and my youngest will be 18 soon, so it’s a different kind of relationship than a mom with younger children. Mercy, I love those human beings. We haven’t always communicated well and I made mom mistakes along the way, but we can really talk about things now. They’re remarkable human beings and I am thankful for them all.
- Yoga. Although there are days that I don’t do yoga (and — cough, cough– weeks), I cannot deny that it has made a difference in my life. Not only have I found a form of activity that I enjoy, but it meets a specific need for stress reduction and improved flexibility.
- Music. What would the world be without music? It expresses things that words cannot. It serves as a bridge between cultures and time. There are very few life situations that are not improved by adding music. Having a bad day? Play some loud music to deal with the anger and frustration. Need to focus? Find some calm classical to bring you back to where you need to be. Having a great day? Turn on some music and get up and dance!
- Lifelong friends. If you know me, you probably know these people. Or at least you’ve heard me talk about them. They are my people. They’ve been here for as long as I can remember. They know 8 year old me and high school me and college me and young adult me and present day me. We have been through much together and we will continue to be there for one another. I have no doubt.
- A husband who encourages me to do what’s good for me even when it means more work for him. I could not have taken the time for therapy or for starting a graduate program in counseling without the support of my husband. On a daily basis, I know he’ll not only pick up some slack, but go above and beyond even after having been at work all day. I am thankful.
- Fiction. I love fiction. Fiction.
- The internet. How many of us have been able to reconnect with people from our past because of the internet? How many of us have been able to find information that helps us with our daily lives? Yes, it can be a time drain if it’s not used well, but it’s an incredible blessing.
- New beginnings. Whether it’s a new week, a new semester, a new month, or a new insight, I’m thankful for new beginnings.
- The fact that clothes have finally been demystified for me. I’m almost fifty and it’s only been within the past couple of years that I’ve gained any real security in what I wear. I grew up in a school with a very high dress code so it took me years to learn how to dress casually without feeling and looking sloppy. I wasn’t allowed to wear pants to school, so that was another hurdle to cross. As women, our bodies are constantly changing and for years I was either pregnant or dressing in mom mode. I don’t even know what made the biggest difference, but these days, I feel confident in what I wear even if others may not like it.
What about you? What are you thankful for today?